November 29, 2014

Noncompliance

When I was an angry, angry captain responsible for quality assurance, working in a basement dungeon and rarely being allowed out in public, I found out that there were three main reasons for not complying with a directive.

Dunno, can’t, and won’t.

Dunno encompasses all of the times that an employee “don’t know” something.  When an employee doesn’t know that something is required.  When an employee doesn’t know how to do something.  When an employee doesn’t know how to use a piece of equipment.  When an employee doesn’t know how to document that s/he did what was required.  Some people are just a wee tad hypocognitive and need to be reminded more than once. 

Most of the dunnos are corrected in paramedic school – a medic learns to run an arrest, intubate, start an IV, and that kind of crap.  Then they are hired into a job and an HR person goes over the other requirements, so they know how to wear the uniform, how to clock in, and how to call in sick.  Finally, a field training program of some sort covers a whole bunch of the other dunnos (and correct some of the stuff learned in school).

After all of that, though, there are still requirements that change, new procedures, and new equipment that have to be learned.  Anytime something changes, drops, or is adopted there is someone who is slow to get the proverbial memo.  Hell, I still occasionally think of Bretylium, bicarb in arrest, and MCL1 from time to time.  It took me a year or so to remember to use aspirin when we first got it.
I am optimistic that there is a bright and happy future where I
am embarrassed at being so old as to even think of this.  Credit

The “can’t comply” form of noncompliance occurs when an employee knows about a directive, but systemic factors are standing in the way.  For example, you can have a standing order that says an employee must complete the PCR before leaving the ED, but if there is another call for them that dispatch is nagging about, the run sheet is probably not going to be left. 

Another good example of this was back when we adopted waveform capnography.  End-tidal CO2 must be documented for all intubated patients.  All employees were told about the new requirement.  But even after allowing time for adoption, re-explaining the requirement, and pulling my hair out, there was still embarrassingly low compliance.  Then one day a medic explained it to me, like I should have known about it all along.  See, the EtCO2 equipment was hidden away.  Thus, it was a pain in the ass to get out and use when you had a patient sick enough to require a tube.  I don’t know why the capnography adapters were so hard to find, but all it took was moving the equipment to the airway cabinet for compliance to shoot up.  The medics wanted to comply, but there were problems standing in their way. 

If an employee knows that something is required, knows how to do it, and there is nothing standing in their way, then all you are left with is that they “won’t comply.”  Employees that truly won’t do what is asked of them shouldn’t be employees for long.  But most employees aren't actually willfully disobedient, so this is rare, and a topic for another time.


One of my biggest flaws as a manager (and, I freely admit, there were many) was that I was habitually too quick to assume “won’t” when “dunno” or “can’t” actually explained what was going on.  If you find yourself in a management position, please make sure to always look for the can’t and the dunno first.  One of the major roles of managers and supervisors is to get rid of the can’ts and dunnos in your organization and allow good employees to be good employees.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I think that there is a fine line between can't and won't. In your example of can't, it seems more that the paramedics could follow the protocol, but that it was inconvenient for them to do so (this observation is being made by a non EMS person, so forgive me if I am missing something). Or, in your words, there was something standing in their way. The employee has a responsibility to identify roadblocks when they occur; failing to do so in my opinion places them squarely in the "won't" camp.

Unknown said...

There is indeed a fine line, Chris. In the case here, there are other things to be done, so obstacles are kind of unfair. I think that was the point I was trying to make.
There are other ones, though. What about brain farts? I knew I had to do X and just plum forgot.
Or: I went to this call via this route, but your way would have been faster. Did I dunno, can't or won't the poor route?
This is probably why I was a bad supervisor

Unknown said...

My adage was always, "I will back you to the top of the organization, as long as you can tell me why you did what you did. We may have a very long conversation about why your decision was wrong, but always know I will support you if you made a conscious decision with some sort of rationale behind it." In this case, I can justify your justification of the can't with that in mind- well, I could have gotten the doohickey, but that would have stopped be from doing A,B,and C, so I didn't. I appreciate the clarification. Identifying the true don't is really difficult- they mask themselves in so many different ways. I try to teach folks to consciously consider their decisions- take one minute to think about what you are about to do- to try and really weed out the true won'ts, but even that method is hardly foolproof. Awesome article as always- keep up the good work!

Kent said...

hypocognitive- BEST WORD EVER!